Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Charlotte Bronte was a filthy bitch

Tanya Gold explodes the spinsterish myth around the author of Jane Eyre. 'Enough of the Brontë industry's veneration of coffins, bonnets and tuberculosis. It is time to exhume the real Charlotte - filthy bitch, grandmother of chick-lit, and friend.' This is how much Charlotte hated being a teacher, in her own words. "The thought came over me: am I to spend all the best part of my life in this wretched bondage, forcibly suppressing my rage at the idleness and most asinine stupidity of these fat-headed oafs? Must I from day to day sit chained to this chair prisoned within these four bare walls, while the glorious summer suns are burning in heaven and the year is revolving in its richest glow and declaring at the close of every summer day the time I am losing will never come again? Just then a dolt came up with a lesson. I thought I should have vomited." Are you a teacher? You identify, don't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home