Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Bookplanet: readysteadybook on litblogging

Readysteadybook is writing an essay on litblogging. Meanwhile, he says:
"I want to affirm blogs as a critical conversational space and abjure the notion that we are all - or should be - guerilla marketeers. Blogs allow for (actually are) an independent space where conversations, often only seen in/around universities, can take place in an considered way, at our own pace, about what literature is, about what we want from it, about what we as (critical) readers can bring to it. They do this (create and participate in this conversation) outside of institutional constraints. My concern is that new constraints arrive if blogs see themselves as a replacement for the print media. The print media is often little more than a sales catalogue: critical engagement is downplayed; new books and new writers are overly praised for work that, on reading, is banal and underwhelming. The blogosphere is already a hugely varied place, and a daily changing landscape, but I fear that this desire I perceive for recognition by the real/old/print media could dilute what is different and powerful and energising about blogs in the first place."
Heck, what is he saying? This blog feeds off the MSM. This blog edits the media down to what interests me as a reader and writer, and passing it on to you, my very dear reader ("your daily entertainment scout"). I know I throw in stuff that comes wholly out my own mind, like the recent post about designing The Perfect Fuck Beast (see "X-rated thoughts about chimeras"), but without the MSM, I wouldn't be able to have a conversation. If, at the same time, I'm a guerilla marketeer for stuff I like, why the fuck not? Readysteadybook, aren't you perhaps digging yourself an extra hole inside your own self-referential butthole?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home