Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Monday, December 19, 2005

So I ended up this year more or less solvent

Until a few months ago, I was a poor sort of a chap, who went to the movies maybe once a month, because $10 could buy food, and entertainment was somewhat unaffordable.

Now I am making a bit of money, and have resorted to repeating a mantra to myself -- "abundance is mine!" OK, that's pretty pathetic, but hey, you try being poor; it will make you desperate enough to even read self-help books.

Anyway, a week ago I did something heretofore unimaginable, that is to say, impossible for me since the year 2000, which is 5 years ago -- a long time to be poor.

(What is poor? Poor is when you steal toiletpaper from restaurants your friends take you to. Poor is when you take your last $10 and buy 6 cans of tuna fish, figuring you can stay alive for 6 days without starving.)

What was the unimaginable?

I dropped $70-00 at Barnes & Noble, the premier books chain in the US, on three lovely books:

1) "The Poetry of Pablo Neruda," edited by Ilan Stavans, translated by 36 translators, most of them well-known poets themselves;
2) "100 Great Poems of the 20th Century," edited by Mark Strand;
3) "The Times Complete History of the World," a massive, glossy coffee-table book full of pictures and maps and charts, which I couldn't resist, because Barnes & Noble was selling it for $19.95 -- the book must have cost twice that just to produce.

I walked home feeling a bit shocked at my purchase, but extremely happy at carrying the weight of my booty. The poetry books now lie by my bedside, and I dip into them before I go to sleep.

"Into the night of the heart
your name drops slowly
and moves in silence and falls
and breaks and spreads its water."

The coffee-table monster lies on my coffee table, and I page through it during the day when I break away from my computer, reading about ancient China under "The First Civilizations" and about "The Age of European Dominance" and "The Rise of the Frankish Kingdom," and I feel I'm sitting here in NYC and giving myself a world perspective.

Damn, it's nice to have a little extra discretionary income to splurge on the pleasures of the mind. I wouldn't care if I were a peasant in Africa, but I'm not -- I'm an urbanite in NYC, and I need to spoil my flashing and eager-for-new-words-and-knowledge cortex every once in a while, especially when I watch my city launch itself into a gift-buying frenzy.

Listen, a very merry Christmas season to you all; happy Hanukkah and Kwanzaa and whatever; and may the New Year bring you great and appreciated slices of ... ABUNDANCE ... !

3 Comments:

At 12/20/2005 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adam. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching country wedding favors. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from country wedding favors I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at country wedding favors. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work

 
At 12/20/2005 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. Adam I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on san francisco massage therapy and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to san francisco massage therapy. I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

 
At 12/20/2005 3:55 AM, Blogger Kel-Bell said...

For Christmakwanzaka I want Mony Pythons Spam Alot!

SPAM! SPAM! I Want more SPAM...

LOL

Happy Merry Joyful Abundance to you and yours, Adam!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home