Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Monday, December 19, 2005

So I ended up this year more or less solvent

Until a few months ago, I was a poor sort of a chap, who went to the movies maybe once a month, because $10 could buy food, and entertainment was somewhat unaffordable.

Now I am making a bit of money, and have resorted to repeating a mantra to myself -- "abundance is mine!" OK, that's pretty pathetic, but hey, you try being poor; it will make you desperate enough to even read self-help books.

Anyway, a week ago I did something heretofore unimaginable, that is to say, impossible for me since the year 2000, which is 5 years ago -- a long time to be poor.

(What is poor? Poor is when you steal toiletpaper from restaurants your friends take you to. Poor is when you take your last $10 and buy 6 cans of tuna fish, figuring you can stay alive for 6 days without starving.)

What was the unimaginable?

I dropped $70-00 at Barnes & Noble, the premier books chain in the US, on three lovely books:

1) "The Poetry of Pablo Neruda," edited by Ilan Stavans, translated by 36 translators, most of them well-known poets themselves;
2) "100 Great Poems of the 20th Century," edited by Mark Strand;
3) "The Times Complete History of the World," a massive, glossy coffee-table book full of pictures and maps and charts, which I couldn't resist, because Barnes & Noble was selling it for $19.95 -- the book must have cost twice that just to produce.

I walked home feeling a bit shocked at my purchase, but extremely happy at carrying the weight of my booty. The poetry books now lie by my bedside, and I dip into them before I go to sleep.

"Into the night of the heart
your name drops slowly
and moves in silence and falls
and breaks and spreads its water."

The coffee-table monster lies on my coffee table, and I page through it during the day when I break away from my computer, reading about ancient China under "The First Civilizations" and about "The Age of European Dominance" and "The Rise of the Frankish Kingdom," and I feel I'm sitting here in NYC and giving myself a world perspective.

Damn, it's nice to have a little extra discretionary income to splurge on the pleasures of the mind. I wouldn't care if I were a peasant in Africa, but I'm not -- I'm an urbanite in NYC, and I need to spoil my flashing and eager-for-new-words-and-knowledge cortex every once in a while, especially when I watch my city launch itself into a gift-buying frenzy.

Listen, a very merry Christmas season to you all; happy Hanukkah and Kwanzaa and whatever; and may the New Year bring you great and appreciated slices of ... ABUNDANCE ... !

8 Comments:

At 12/20/2005 1:01 AM, Anonymous wedding favors for kids said...

Hey Adam. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching country wedding favors. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from country wedding favors I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at country wedding favors. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work

 
At 12/20/2005 2:00 AM, Blogger corpodibacco said...

Hey, adam, man. You didn't look that broke from the blog! I thought of you as a very wealthy man, rich of wit and spirit and affluent in criticism. Glad you can spare a little money on top of that right now.
And it's great that you can buy yourself some books now. That's what's I always did since I was a kid, buy me books with any spare money. Hope you can buy all the books you want in the future, you deserve them.

Have a very, very nice Xmas you too.

 
At 12/20/2005 3:03 AM, Anonymous dallas massage therapy said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. Adam I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on san francisco massage therapy and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to san francisco massage therapy. I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

 
At 12/20/2005 3:55 AM, Blogger Kelley Bell said...

For Christmakwanzaka I want Mony Pythons Spam Alot!

SPAM! SPAM! I Want more SPAM...

LOL

Happy Merry Joyful Abundance to you and yours, Adam!

 
At 12/20/2005 8:24 AM, Anonymous discounted wedding favors said...

Well I just got back from the gym and I am beat. I am currently doing some research on discounted wedding favors and stumbled across your blog. Which cracks me up really. The internet can certainly land you off base sometimes. Even though this post is not completely related I think it is a cool blog. I have read back through the archives and lots of people make some very good points. Well I have been on-line forever it seems. I need to continue to plug away at discounted wedding favors. If you have the energy swing by discounted wedding favors. I try to update my site weekly and maybe you will see something you like. I already snagged your URL and put it in my favorites. If you do not mind I will be back again. Great job!

 
At 12/20/2005 9:01 AM, Blogger corpodibacco said...

Adam! you're flooded with spamming... just tell'em something...! Don't stay there doing nothing! :)

 
At 12/21/2005 10:48 PM, Blogger corpodibacco said...

Why you just don't delete the spam messages? If you do that sooner or later they get tired...

 
At 1/03/2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Hey!! Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching type of massage therapy. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though your blog is way off base from type of massage therapy I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don�t your url and feel free to visit me here at http://www.massage-therapy-information.com. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home