Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

JESUS NATION SEX REBEL, mini-chapter 37

37. ADAM TELLS JOSHUA WHAT TO DO

“So what can you tell me, Mister Know-It-All.” Joshua Grant sat back. Adam took the bait.

“It’s got to be something people feel strongly about. Something patriotic and Christian. The point being that you’re totally on the side of the people. You’re their champion.”

Am I sitting here lecturing the very man in whose hands my destiny lies? Am I not getting a little ahead of myself? It’s all because I’m a damned academic. Call me Mr. Pedantic.

“I hear you,” said Joshua.

Adam felt his mind running away with him. What the heck. It’s too late to stop now. Forge ahead, Adam. God gave you a mind, now let it fly.

“They key is this -- what appeals to people are symbols. You must enter the symbolic arena. Remember flag-burning? That’s tantamount to the kind of thing you need. Something that gets under people’s skins. Touches them deep. Gets their blood up.”

“You seem to have a feel for this, Adam. Would you be interested in heading up a Grant for President campaign issues task force?” Joshua Grant had spun on a dime.

“You might want to consider a experienced politician for a job like that, Joshua. At the end of the day I don’t consider myself qualified in this area.”

“Listen, Adam, I’m the outsider. People tell me that’s a good place to come from. It makes sense for me to recruit people from the outside. We can get to the politicians later. I need new ideas. You’re the first guy who’s challenged me on this.”

“Well, as long as you realize that I’m not a politician.”

“That’s exactly why I want you, Adam.”

“I could get some academics who’ve studied political campaigns to work on this,” said Adam.

“Bible solid, Adam. An academic brain trust. The best and the brightest. Get a few guys together, and we’ll have an exploratory session next month. This is great. You’re my first official appointment.”

Adam could hear the blood rush into his ears. He had jumped into some kind of deep end. Unwittingly lectured himself into an important assignment that was way over his head. Something huge to live up to. He would have to realign his view of himself to see the potential that Joshua had spotted. And all he had done was go off into pontification mode. Maybe that was all that was required.

“Well, I have to be off,” said Joshua. “Call my secretary for the details about the party. Stay and finish up. Order something else if you want. I run an account here.”

Adam watched Joshua Grant leave. Unbelievable. I may have just had lunch with the next president, and I may be a factor in getting him there.

“Dessert, sir?”

The waiter was unexpectedly old. Did this man, once upon a time, want to be something more than a waiter? Had he perhaps been something more than a waiter? Perhaps a middle manager in a business that didn’t exist anymore?

“Bring me the menu.”

Adam watched the waiter scurry away. No power there. Years ago I turned down an offer, after my first book came out, to start a small academic division in a book publishing firm, one that was long ago swallowed by Sunday Fox Media. It just seemed too big a jump then. Like that time they wanted me to run for the borough -- a job in city politics. I got scared. Maybe I would have been one of Joshua Grant’s lieutenants by now. Maybe not. But now I’m getting a chance to become a TV celebrity; get a little power. And become an official advisor to a candidate for President. Much more power than Proctor has, for example. That little shit. That was where power came in handy -- to rub the noses of little shits like Proctor in the dust. To prevail over people who irritated you.

But that was not the kind of power Joshua Grant was talking about. He meant something bigger. I have a lot to learn. And this time I’m willing to make the jump. That little victory over Proctor gave me the taste. Just keep pointing me where you want to, Joshua. I’m ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home