Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

"Ten things I hate about Tom Cruise"

Usually we have some pretty serious shit on this blog. But here's something shallow, to show how deliciously shallow we as a nation are. It's a piece about hating Tom Cruise.
Over at Blogcritics, one Sekimori has so far gotten over 250 passionate comments with this Cruise-hating post. Generally, a good Blogcritics piece about say, Iraq, may get 50 comments, tops. I post her piece because it will give you a major insight into our nation -- that parsing pop culture means way more to us than parsing the nation at war. Read what really gets our nation's goat:

"I realize that some of you ladies (and men) out there will take great offense to this, but I can't stand Tom Cruise. I don't care that he's been in some of the top grossing movies at the box office, I think he's a hack. I don't care who claims he's the sexiest man alive, I think he's a troll. If I had to nail down the exact reasons why he makes my skin crawl, they would be as follows:
1. He's Short.
Short men bug me. And before the hate mail starts pouring in, let me explain. My personality is very alpha - blindingly alpha. Some men are intimidated by this, short men more so than most. This makes them either instantly hostile towards me or aggressively sexual as if, A) they have to prove something to me, and B) I actually give a shit. I make absolutely no apology for being a strong willed, sharp minded, sexually mature woman. Therefore, short men bug me.
2. The Whole Nicole Kidman Thing.
I believe the consensus in this instance is that he's the ass. Even if it turns out she was carrying Raoul the Pool Boy's child, there's no excuse for causing a woman to lose a pregnancy. And, yes, I do blame that on Tom Cruise. He and Red had reportedly renewed their vows in a "romantic Christmas ceremony" then he filed for divorce in February. Shit, if that's romance, I'd hate to see the results of an actual fight!
3. He's a Scientologist.
The popular rumor is that Robert Heinlein (one of the greatest sci-fi writers of all time) and L. Ron Hubbard (not) were shooting the shit about religion, when they made a bet: whoever could make the most money off of religion would win. Robert Heinlein wrote the culture changing classic novel Stranger in a Strange Land. Elron plagiarized a dozen different sources, wrote Dianetics, then formed the laugh-fest that is Scientology. Borrowing the worst of pulp sci-fi, cheap Russian brainwashing techniques and Psychic Friends Network infomercials, Scientology gives the rich and stupid a place to unload both their insecurities and their cash. Their allegedly renounced policy of Fair Game against all unbelievers should be, in and of itself, enough to allow them to be shot on sight. Well, that and Battlefield Earth.
4. His Fake Name.
Tom. Cruise. Now, Cruise is not his real last name. It is his middle name. Whatever. It's kinda sleazy. Mapother is his real last name. Mapother. Never mind. He can keep the 'Cruise.'
5. His Litigious Habits. 
I totally understand suing the guts out of someone to protect your children from actual harm. How is someone calling you a Nancy Boy going to hurt your children? Who are adopted, by the way, aren't they Nan ... I mean Tom? Adopting is good. Many, many kids out there need good homes and adoption is a nice alternative to abortion, even though I would like to state for the record that I'm completely pro-choice. I'm just wondering why you didn't choose to father your own children? Anyway, back to your homosexuality … oh, did I just write that? Silly me, wouldn't want to get sued … you suing a penniless writer would hardly be good for your "heterosexual action star" image, now would it? No? Thought not.
6. He's Not an Action Star.
A friend once asked me, "How is it that he came to be considered an action star when he is approximately the size and shape of a Smurf?" That is a fine question. In fact, I believe there is an entire contingent of scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology working on that very thing.
7. Risky Business.
Hated it. Even when I was 16 I hated this movie. The BVDs, the Ray Bans, Rebecca DeMornay (who unfailingly reminds me of a bull terrier), the train scene, the music, the "sometimes you just gotta say, 'what the fuck.' " Hated it all. A worthy edition to the ever expanding library of Films Your Kids Must See if You Want Them to Grow Up to be Assholes.
8. His Foolish Hair. 
I realize there's only about three things a guy can do with his hair (unless he's GAY), but I do think it's about time Mr. Cruise gave the Ken doll back his hair.
9. Eyes Wide Shut.
The fuck? Never in my entire existence have I seen an alleged actor bring less emotion to a project. Mr. Potato Head would have turned in a better performance than this … and had significantly more chemistry with Nicole Kidman.
10. He's Not Sexy. 
He's not. And it's more attitude than appearance. Nan … I mean Tom seems supremely certain of his place in the universe, no doubt because he's paid the Church of Scientology many, many dollars to divine it from the swirl of the hairs on his ass. Well Tom, you ain't all that. You've driven your wife to miscarriage, you make tedious movies (even with John Woo directing) and you've got teeth like big Chicklets.
So there."

THESE thoughts hit our nation where we live (not some pundit's ideas about Iraq or red-blue states). Maybe there's room for a Major Successful Magazine here: a People-type forum that lets writers and readers hold forth on what they hate about particular celebs. Call it People We Hate. Hey, someone do it. Start scouting venture capitalists now.

7 Comments:

At 12/11/2005 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What up Adam! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on cord blood family trusts for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though this post isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at cord blood family trusts. I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at cord blood family trusts. You never know you might see something you like! Again great job

 
At 12/11/2005 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about cord blood stem cell banks. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on cord blood stem cell banks and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Adam and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

 
At 12/14/2005 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding saving umbilical cord blood and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) Adam your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on saving umbilical cord blood was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for saving umbilical cord blood for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really started getting into it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at saving umbilical cord blood . You never know you may find some good deals!

 
At 12/15/2005 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What up Adam! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on cord blood storing for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though this post isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at cord blood storing . I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at cord blood storing . You never know you might see something you like! Again great job

 
At 12/15/2005 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adam. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching cord blood spinal supply. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from cord blood spinal supply I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at cord blood spinal supply. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work

 
At 12/16/2005 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog Adam. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of cord blood stem cell banks and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on cord blood stem cell banks. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit this post again!!

 
At 12/28/2005 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Adam,
this post is truly a nice piece of work!
While looking for more information about below wholesale diamonds,
I see so much rubbish, that I am glad to find a blog like yours.
My interest goes out to below wholesale diamonds related information,
but this post is a real inspiration for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home