Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Quote of the week

There was an interview with classic rock 'n roller Dion (Runaround Sue, The Wanderer) in the NY Times where he tosses off a great line. He's talking about how John Hammond turned him on to Robert Johnson (which Hammond had done for Bob Dylan, too):
"Hammond said, 'We sold 25,000 copies of this record by word of mouth,' " Dion recalled. "I was selling a million copies of 'Ruby Baby' at the time, and I thought, 'Gee, he seems excited,' so I listened to it and it got me excited, too. Some of the guys I played it for couldn't hear it, but I heard it. It's the naked cry of the human heart apart from God, wanting to feel at home."

Wow. That line of Dion's sums up a lot of art -- from Ingmar Bergman to J.M. Coetzee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home