Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

A tiny apology for the post about 'medieval' Islam that follows

I'm uncomfortable with my post about "medieval" Islam (very much written in the heat of the moment), since I don't like blanket generalizations like the ones I've indulged in -- especially if they're so stigmatizing and condemnatory. I'm basically a sweet chap, who doesn't like to heap opprobium on anyone, with the exception of Bush/Cheney. I'm sure I overstate my "medieval" case. The intensity of my snit fit is informed by having grown up in South Africa, where the Afrikaner Christian Church backed apartheid on Biblical grounds. This has left me with a strong anti-clerical bent, which has definitely been piqued by the current Muslim rioting. I am deeply suspicious of organized religion: I think it operates as a blight on humanity, since it is so devoid of reason and common sense, and often shelters great prejudice. Witness the US evangelical right's preoccupation with the "evil" of homosexuality. So if I've upset some readers, I apologize -- and I hope it helps to know where I'm coming from.

2 Comments:

At 2/09/2006 12:06 PM, Blogger Barney said...

As far as I am concerned, you've nothing to apologize for - sometimes, the truth hurts.

 
At 2/09/2006 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Barney.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home