Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

JESUS NATION SEX REBEL, mini-chapter 35

35. JOSHUA’S AMBITION

The question that Adam had asked hung in the air. “In the final analysis, why do you want to be President?”

Joshua Grant smiled and winked. He finished chewing a mouthful before he answered.

“History, Adam, history. The Men of the Gospel in effect rule the country these days, no matter what administration is in power. They are rebuilding our society. But the president is the one who becomes famous and makes history, because he still runs foreign policy. He can start wars. That’s the biggest power left to one man, to be able to start a war. Imagine that. You can really make your mark by starting a war. I guess I want to be president because it’s the only thing left for me to do.”

This was rather over Adam’s head. He could not really appreciate ambition of such a high order. He looked at Joshua’s face: funny how young and eager it became when the man spoke about his plans. Being president was something that mattered to some men.

Joshua brought his glass to his lips in a private toast to his own ambition.

“I’ve watched men of far lesser mind and talent than me become president. I could mention a Bush or two.” He finished his glass of wine with an immodest gulp. “In the end, I just might want to be president because I don’t want anyone else to have that job. Look at this media company I built. I’ve always been first among equals. It suits me better than others.”

Joshua’s monologue was turning into a speech of sorts.

“Will I have your vote, Adam?” said Joshua, and his eyes twinkled.

“Oh, absolutely,” said Adam. The man was running already.

“Mind you, at the end of the day, what am I voting for?” asked Adam, trying to get into the spirit of the thing.

“You’re voting for me.”

“What’s your issue?”

“I’m perfect for the job, that’s my issue. I know how to run things. My issue is that I’m efficient.”

“Forgive this attempt at a thought, but don’t you think efficiency lacks rallying power?”

“How do you mean?” Joshua sounded belligerent, as though Adam was bothering him with something beside the point. Adam was surprised to find himself moving into a lecturing mode. He hoped that was what Joshua Grant wanted. Anyhow, he couldn’t stop himself. If this man was serious, then he should be able to give a humble academic the benefit of being his one-man focus group.

“Efficiency is not something that will drive people to the polls. Joshua Grant for efficiency. That doesn’t seem tantamount to a thought that would rally the troops. Not enough to beat a Bush.”

Joshua Grant appeared momentarily taken aback, and then rallied. “Well, I’m the issue. I’m a straight-talking, hard-charging, no-bull, can-do Christian businessman of steadfast character.”

“You need to make a value statement.”

“I am the value the voter will get.”

“But at the end of the day, what do you stand for? A Bush always stands for something.”

“No bull, that’s me.”

“Now you’re defining yourself as a negative.”

“Listen, Adam, here I sit, one of the most important businessmen in the land. People look up to me naturally. I’m a born leader. Always have been. I’ll be better for the country than anybody else. It stands to reason.”

“The problem is, reason is not enough. You need something that talks to people’s hearts. Not to put too fine a point on it, something tantamount to an emotional appeal.”

“An emotional appeal? I’m a businessman, not a woman.”

“Maybe that’s your problem.”

“Problem? I don’t have problems. I specialize in solutions.”

“Your problem is, you don’t have an appealing political message.”

“I’m the message, dammit, I don’t need anything but myself.”

“You do.”

“Well, what could that be? If you’re so smart, what could that be? You’re no politician. What can you tell me that I don’t already know?”

Oh hell, what’s happening? thought Adam. I haven’t been with the man for five minutes, and I’ve picked a fight with him. My TV dreams are going up in smoke, the fire blown out by nobody but me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home