Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

THE SEX REBEL OF JESUSLAND, mini-chapter 53

53. ESTHER WANTS EVE TO DO SOMETHING

“I’m still only a mere Beloved,” said Eve, doing her ingénue thing, blatantly inviting Esther to please be her mentor.

“I will instruct you in the way of the Blesseds, my dear, so you’re ready for it when your time comes.”

“I would love that.”

The next remark came out of left field. “Tell me, Eve, as a former wife of Ezra’s, what do you think of him now?”

“He seems much improved these days, doesn’t he?”

“I improved him.”

“How?”

“I taught him how to make love, for one.”

Eve laughed in the midst of her shock, and then continued in the bantering way of a Blessed on the forbidden topic of sex. “He wasn’t very terrific regarding that when we were married.”

“Then he went on a binge with other women. I created a monster.”

“He does carry himself with a rather rakish air.” Eve thought she was keeping her end up rather deftly.

“I would’ve countenanced his infidelity,” said Esther, “but he got all upset when I cheated on him.”

“Males. They can dish it out, but they can’t take it, can they?” Eve really enjoyed saying that. She felt she was not only talking like a Blessed, but also thinking like one. This was the same feeling that inspired all that talk about her new sex theory with Rachel.

“Me and Ezra, we’re kind of friendly enemies now,” said Esther. “You’ll have to decide whose camp you want to join.”

“To be precise, I’m on the side of the women.”

“When Joshua Grant runs for president, the choice of his successor at Sunday Fox will be between a man and woman.”

“Joshua could get killed by the kidnappers.”

“They wouldn’t dare. There’s too much money to be made from a ransom.”

“The Men of the Gospel will never pay ransom to terrorists.”

“For important people, they have.”

“I never heard of anything like that.”

“That’s because your news comes filtered through the media.” Esther drew a long breath. “I can’t wait for Joshua to declare. On that day Ezra becomes my archenemy. A fight to the death.” She had a hard, attractive glitter in her eyes, to which Eve felt her own eyes respond. How great to be able to fight a man on an equal footing, all the way to conquest.

“Which one of you does Joshua prefer?” asked Eve.

“Joshua is too smart to let his hand show. He just pits us against each other, and forces us to look for support in the ranks below us.”

“Are you looking for support with me?”

“More than that. You were married to Ezra. I think he still has feelings for you. You might be very useful.”

“I find him more attractive now than when he was my husband.”

“Don’t be seduced by his aura, Eve. He’s just an old-fashioned womanizer. He hasn’t been loyal to any of his women.”

“He fooled me once, right into getting married. He won’t fool me again.” Even as she said it, Eve wasn’t so sure of herself. The new Ezra was a total recreation, like one of her cured homosexuals. Once upon a time she and Ezra were little Beloveds together, and now he was in the highest Echelons of Blesseds, while she was still groveling in the dust. If she had stayed married to him, she’d be up there now.

“Good. I want you to help me with something.” Esther sounded very serious. “Something big. But I need to know something. Do I have your loyalty?”

“Indeed. Completely.” Esther was the one -- the star to which she should hitch the wagon of her ambition. She could easily put up with Esther’s know-it-all manner. Heavens, she would like to acquire the same manner herself.

“Even against Ezra?” asked Esther.

“Of course. He’s a member of the arrogant gender.”

Esther laughed. “I like your primal reasons.”

“Those are the best ones.”

“It might get a little murky for you, my dear, maybe quite risky and dangerous, but if it all works out, you will have your reward.”

Eve’s ambition jumped right into her face like a ghost becoming corporal, and all the more lively for it.

“That’s all I need to know regarding this,” said Eve. “What do you want me to do?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home