Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Spry leftie Moyers threatens to return

Bill Moyers, the fair-minded leftie who worked for LBJ in the days when son-of-a-bitch pols had their hearts in the right place, draws his six-shooter in a speech and pulls the trigger to blast recent right-wing attackers of PBS and NPR.

"Let me assure you that I take in stride attacks by the radical right-wingers who have not given up demonizing me although I retired over six months ago. They might just compel me out of the rocking chair and back into the anchor chair.

Who are they? I mean the people obsessed with control, using the government to threaten and intimidate. I mean the people who are hollowing out middle class security even as they enlist the sons and daughters of the working class in a war to make sure Ahmed Chalabi winds up controlling Iraq's oil. I mean the people who turn faith-based initiatives into a slush fund and who encourage the pious to look heavenward and pray so as not to see the long arm of privilege and power picking their pockets. I mean the people who squelch free speech in an effort to obliterate dissent and consolidate their orthodoxy into the official view of reality from which any deviation becomes unpatriotic heresy.

One reason I'm in hot water is because my colleagues and I at NOW didn't play by the conventional rules of beltway journalism. Those rules divide the world into Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives, and allow journalists to pretend they have done their job if, instead of reporting the truth behind the news, they merely give each side an opportunity to spin the news.

I came to see that 'news is what people want to keep hidden and everything else is publicity.'"

YOU GO, BILL. In the name of "balance", all sort of morons whine for their place in the sun, from Intelligent Design anti-evolutionists to anti-gay marriage homophobes. A pox on these children of hate. In a perfect world, every gay-hater should be bonked up the back channel. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them actually enjoy it. Nothing like actual experience to change the mind. Not that there's anything wrong with being het. Most of us are, but that doesn't mean we have to come down on those whose glory holes lie elsewhere, and crave to make their love official. Mind you, with the mess hets have made of marriage, why do others want it? Perhaps they are our last and best hope of restoring some of its sanctity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home