Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Contenders for Man Booker International

Just announced: a prize to rival the Nobel in publicity. The 18 contenders, 10 in translation, are:
Margaret Atwood
Saul Bellow
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Gunter Grass
Ismail Kadare
Milan Kundera
Stanislaw Lem
Doris Lessing
Ian McEwan
Naguib Mahfouz
Tomas Eloy Martinez
Kenzaburo Oe
Cynthia Ozick
Philip Roth
Muriel Spark
Antonio Tabucchi
John Updike
A.B. Yehoshua
How many have you read? (I count 12 for myself. Oops, 6 to go.)

1 Comments:

At 2/21/2005 11:41 PM, Blogger Tracy Quan said...

"How many have you read?"

Does it have to be books or do op-eds and magazine pieces count? If so, then about 8. In the case of Kenzaburo Oe, I read an op-ed of his in Haaretz and this was my first exposure to him. It goes to show you that, no matter how big time you are as a writer, it's good to stay current, placing pieces about the issues of the day in a venue that may seem ephemeral. New readers will be drawn to your thoughts. And now that I have seen his name on this list, I am reminded that I want to read more of Kenzaburo Oe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home