Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Friday, July 01, 2005

I got all excited by the discovery of a new poem by Sappho

And then the translation really sucked, so I forgot about it. But hey, here's my translation of the clogged, clunky translation.
FIRST, the clogged, clunky translation:

[You for] the fragrant-blossomed Muses’ lovely gifts
[be zealous,] girls, [and the] clear melodious lyre:

[but my once tender] body old age now
[has seized;] my hair’s turned [white] instead of dark;

my heart’s grown heavy, my knees will not support me,
that once on a time were fleet for the dance as fawns.

This state I oft bemoan; but what’s to do?
Not to grow old, being human, there’s no way.

Tithonus once, the tale was, rose-armed Dawn,
love-smitten, carried off to the world’s end,

handsome and young then, yet in time grey age
o’ertook him, husband of immortal wife.

NOW, my translation:

Young girls, the Muses bless us with perfumed words
so lap them up, and sing the melody of the lyre

oh, my once tender body has been curdled by age
my hair once darkly luminous has gone gray

my heart weighs me down, my knees can't hold me up
once they could dance as fleet-footed as fawns

I lament this condition, but what can I do?
we're human, we all grow old, it can't be helped

the myth says that Tithonus was once kidnapped by the Dawn
who loved him hard, he was so handsome and young

but time overtook him, he grew old and gray
even marriage to an immortal wife couldn't keep that man young

THAT'S IT. Now, why not try your own translation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home