Adam Ash

Your daily entertainment scout. Whatever is happening out there, you'll find the best writing about it in here.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Listening to NPR

I'm a fanatic NPR listener. I decided not to have a TV in my apartment, so maybe that's why. I can't say there's anything on TV that I wish I could see (maybe that Office thing on BBC that everyone says was the funniest thing ever). But I figure I can live more of my own life when I'm not distracted by TV, which besides being too addictive for the likes of me, is there to make me buy stuff I don't want anyway. So instead, I've got NPR on all day (lots of NYC and cultural news via Brian Lehrer, Leonard Leopate, Fresh Air, Studio 360, This American Life, and New Sounds, as well as BBC world news). I listen with half an ear, or a whole ear when my interest is piqued. Mind you, I just found out there are 26m NPR listeners, so I'm far from alone. I'd say us 26m might be the best informed Americans by far. I wonder how many of us vote Democratic, and how many Republican.

4 Comments:

At 7/25/2005 3:42 PM, Blogger FemaleCSGradStudent said...

It seems that there's all kinds of information about the mysterious yet hip NPR listener.

A breakdown of income and interests is
here.

At prss.org, the distribution network for public radio, I found the following, written in 2004,

"The political spectrum is well represented by the NPR audience. Almost one-third of listeners classify themselves as very or somewhat conservative; 29% feel that they sit in the middle of the political road; and 31% describe themselves as very or somewhat liberal."

It's not very telling, but it seems that the listeners aren't all Liberal or Democrat. Or, at least that's not what prss wants you to think. Moreover,

"70% of listeners voted in local, state, or federal elections. 57% recycled in the past year, and listeners were more than twice as likely to have participated in an environmental group cause."

If you are interested in reading the whole document, it's here.

 
At 7/25/2005 6:37 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Femalecsgradstudent,
I give you a big hug. Thank you so much for info. I especially like these stats:
The median household income of NPR listeners is $72,622.
68% of NPR listeners bought a book last year.
And the one you mention: 70% of NPR listeners voted in a local, state or federal election.
Us NPR humans are a good lot.

 
At 7/25/2005 6:41 PM, Blogger Adam said...

And loved the Old Timer story on your blog.

 
At 7/26/2005 11:10 AM, Blogger FemaleCSGradStudent said...

Thanks Adam.

As I was looking through all of the NPR stats, I was dreaming up a scenario in which the community of NPR listeners decides to overthrow the government. If it's as mixed as they say, I'd much rather have a group of leaders who have at least bought a book in the last year.

At least we know Laura Bush reads Harry Potter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home